Sr. Project Engineer – Construction Management and Special Projects
Customers are increasingly requesting Crown to execute expanded scope projects. These projects require Crown to act as the General Contractor responsible for the construction, commissioning, and start-up of facilities in a “turn-key” fashion (one responsible party to the customer). Construction Managers are responsible for managing the various contractors (civil, structural, mechanical, piping, instrumentation, electrical) on-site assuring on-time and on budget projects. This position works in conjunction with the Engineering Project Managers, Technical Managers, Supply Chain personnel, and Goal team to develop fully operational plants for Crown’s customers. (60%)
This position will also serve to focus on driving engineering solutions that make Crown successful to meet local market needs (Special Projects) in the regions we serve. This role will also provide internal support for our engineering, sales, supply chain, finance & GOAL teams to grow our businesses. We have an urgency to improve results and grow. (40%)
This role must have strong business and communications skills to establish and maintain strong relationships with the customer. Analytical and problem solving skills are essential to this position. This position will work on Construction and Special Projects across the areas of Prep, Extraction, Specialty and Liquids.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage a broad range of contractors (civil, mechanical, electrical, piping, instrumentation) to deliver expanded scope projects on-time and on budget.
- Create proposals for expanded scope projects
- Manage cost and schedule for expanded scope projects using Microsoft Project, Project Charters, and RASCI charts
- Conceptual scope development, project briefs, overall program development, define key resource needs.
- Develop and implement bid process for mechanical, electrical, piping and construction projects.
- Drive the overall process, oversee and authorize RFP (request for proposal) for resource procurement and equipment purchases, contractor bidding process, contractor selection, contract negotiation and procurement.
- Evaluate bidders’ quotes to ensure completeness of offers, including determining inclusions, exclusions, clarifications, and qualifications.
- Work with internal & external design groups for all design specifications and drawings.
- Assure the development and execution of a detailed commissioning plan and start-up process.
- Manage the start-up and validation of the project.
- Convert project requirements into contract documents.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to confirm completeness and accuracy of proposed contract; learning and taking into account particular risks inherent to the project.
- Establish, track, and manage quantitative performance goals for the contracts and supplier performance.
- Control the project progress to ensure completion within quality, budget, scope and schedule, including all sub-consultants’/sub-contractors’ progress and costs.
- Identify any and all changes in scope, budget and/or schedule and review same with the Project Leader, and client prior to completing any added work.
- Prepare field reports after all customer visits and distribute to the appropriate personnel.
- Lead cross functional teams/projects to identify technical solutions that meet customer & market needs.
- Training & Development of Engineering, Supply Chain, and Sales functions on new developments, processes, or technical solutions.
- Resolve customer issues or difficulties in a manner that is consistent with the company mission, values, and financial objectives.
- Maintain professional business relationships within target accounts.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- payment of invoices with third parties involved (brokers, accounting consultants, etc.).
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
- 10+ years of experience in oilseed processing and vegetable oil refining a plus
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, in the English language.
- Operate office machines and type at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Understand and resolve technical questions and requests.
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses, etc.
- Required knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Required knowledge of AutoCAD.
- Preferred knowledge in Autodesk Inventor.
- Preferred Customer Service or Sales Support experience.
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard.
- Communication skills using the spoken word.
- Ability to see within normal parameters.
- Ability to hear within normal range.
- Ability to move about.
- Ability to physically lift and carry up to 25lbs.
- Ability to travel either internationally and domestically approximately up to 50% of the time, depending on specific position and work load.
- Working conditions are normal for an office environment.
- Plant environment approximately up to 50% of the time; some exposure to chemicals, hazardous materials, and noise. May work at heights, in confined spaces, and in inclement weather conditionsWorking conditions are normal for an office environment.